Want to discuss all things Mary Jane with other fans? Tired of the mess that is her tag? Want to make friends who also love our favorite redhead?
Then join the Marvelous Mary Jane Network!
Following the footsteps of some other fandoms, we have decided to create a safe place for MJ fans to interact.
All you have to do is fill out this form and we’ll add you to our list of MJ-friendly blogs, and from there you can contact people and hopefully make some friends!
We also track the tag mjnetwork so be sure to tag your stuff with it! Hope to see you supporting our fav fiery character soon!
that “perpendicular” is the bible of the mj fandom.
that is something 100% made up by fans who are incapable of accepting the fact that emma is not going to be a part of the movies anymore.
it would never happen. i don’t know how people can even post things like this without cringing, but i can assure you it would never happen in a million years. this isn’t a disney channel show.
So this rumor has been floating around and I’m gonna be honest I actually really like the Idea. I’m not really sure why but it would be interesting to see it just from a film perspective. I’m not sure it would be great from the spiderman perspective since I feel people often portray MJ as Gwen’s replacement but it could be cool to see peter struggling to find love after Gwen’s death and learning to come to terms fully with falling for MJ and yet being reminded of Gwen and struggling with all that but slowly realizing that MJ isn’t Gwen’s replacement and that he can move on. But yeah I think it would actually be a pretty fun if done well
it would not be interesting on any perspective. please read this.
Amazing Spider-Man #59 (April 1968)
Peter is back from being ‘kidnapped by Spider-Man’, and Harry’s so relieved that he’s no longer mad at him. (This also marks the first time he refers to Peter by the nickname ‘pumpkin eater’. Apt, huh?) The gang go to see MJ at work, unaware that a Sinister Plot is taking place under their noses.
I dislike both of those things, I don’t wanna start a fight either I just wanna say an opinion yeah?
First off I wanna say I’m not intending to attack anyone’s ship, but I personally don’t like MJ and Peter. I’d also like to say that it’s not a matter of MJ vs Gwen, even if I do like Gwen more.
First off, MJ was literally created as a side character and rival for Peter’s love, she was only meant to add drama. Stan Lee once stated that Gwen was meant to be his one true love. Well, I’m not trying to make you ship my ship, just, tell you a bit about MJ.
I think personally that MJ loves Spiderman more than she does Peter, the man vs. mask thing.
Plus Mj inadvertently lead to Gwen’s death, not intentionally, but she was the catalyst even if it wasn’t actually her FAULT. She tells Peter in one comic that finding out he’s Spiderman doesn’t change her feelings for him and she still only sees him as a friend. Then of course, they start dating.
She almost had an affair with a coworker for a soap opera she was in, in universe 616 she tells Peter to stop being Spiderman. And at one point during an argument tells him he needs to put their relationship before Spiderman, and then cuts him off when he begins explaining about Uncle Ben.
All of her plots involve sexual assault/stalking/ and kidnapping. She gets stalked, harassed and kidnapped at least 4 times and it’s really the majority of her plot points she takes an active role in.
not liking a character or a ship is a-ok, but you don’t get to make up reasons for it and call them facts.
1) if your problem with mj is that she was created to counterpart gwen and that she got kidnapped and harassed a lot, your problem is with the writers, not the character. though i don’t think it’s fair to say you don’t like mj because she got kidnapped and used to further stories in that way when the most significant thing that ever happened to gwen, whom you say you like better, was exactly that.
2) stan lee has said a lot of things over the years, and spider-man is 50 years old. even the creator of the comic can change his mind about things. more recently, he stated, “Who’s his true love? I don’t know any better than you do!”
3) the “gwen loved peter and mj loved spider-man” thing is older than the world itself at this point and it only shows a lack of understanding of the comics. i’m sorry, i truly hate to pull this card, but if in the 30-something years of them being written as a couple you still can’t see that there were deep feelings, whether you like the ship or not, then you just haven’t been paying attention on purpose. the only person that wanted to be with spider-man instead of peter was felicia. the only one. not gwen, not mj, not carlie, not betty… just felicia.
4) “still only sees him as a friend, then they start dating” i don’t get this criticism. are people not allowed to change their minds or develop feelings anymore?
5) “she almost had an affair with a coworker” ah, i knew we’d get into the slut shaming sooner or later. peter hit mj once, did you know?? while she was pregnant and she was sent across the room. so why is she the bad girlfriend for almost doing something in a time of confusion?
6) “she tells him to put their relationship before spider-man” let’s talk about this for a second. let’s say you’re in a relationship with someone, married, even. but they’re never home and they’re never home because they’re almost dying outside, every night. you worry, and you can’t sleep, every night. when he does come home, all that he can think about is that night job of his. he barely talks to you about anything else, and you have your problems too that you’d like to share, but feel like you can’t because yours aren’t as big as saving the world so you keep them to yourself. do you think that would strain your relationship? i do. communication and sharing is everything, so it’s hard to make it work without it. so you get sad, because you love them, but you’re sick of worrying about whether they’re dead or not every night and you’re sick of not being able to have a normal life, so you ask them to stop, and instead of having a conversation about it, he tells you that, ok, he will stop, but then he doesn’t and keeps going out behind your back. is that fair? it doesn’t sound fair to me it sounds like betraying. if you have a life together, you have to take the other person into consideration.
now, the most interesting thing about all of this! mj is HUMAN. she’s one of the only female characters that gets to be a three-dimensional character. she’s the girlfriend, yes, and she’s gorgeous and witty and funny yes, all of that. but she’s also flawed, and selfish sometimes, and caring but also rude, and confused, and wrong, and right, and everything in between, just like peter is. we don’t like peter because he’s a perfect guy, we like him ‘cause he messes up, and mj gets to mess up too! that is a huge asset if you know just how badly women are treated in the media. so even if you don’t like the character, you should be happy that she exists, because she gets a fairer treatment than most, and maybe, just maybe, other writers will see her as an example and start writing other women like that, too, instead of writing just the perfect bombshells.
also, speaking in fictional terms, she makes peter happy. that’s reason enough for me to at least not hate a character.
"We can talk about your blatant copying of my signature hairstyle later," says Peter, his voice a gentle rumble against her cheek.
She grins against his shirt. “Jackass.”
Birds of a Feather by ninemilestogo
Summary: MJ hasn’t spoken to her childhood friends Peter or Harry for years, but old loyalties are about to be tested. She will always be the tie that binds them, whether she wants to or not.
MARY JANE: Don’t sweat it guys dangeris my middle name.
PETER: Relax MJ. These days carefulis my middle name.